Fried Green Tomatoes. Not the movie (though that was great too)! Our fried green tomatoes are blue ribbon winners and easy, easy, easy to cook up in small and large quantities. Cornmeal — instead of all flour — is what sets this veggie side dish ahead of the rest.
All you need is:
- One egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 3-4 medium size green tomatoes, sliced
In the kitchen:
- Combine the egg and buttermilk in a shllow dish and set aside
- Combine 1/4 cup of the flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl or plate
- Dunk the tomato slices in the flour, then dip into the egg mixture, and dredge in the cornmeal
- Heat oil in a skillet to about 375 degrees (1/2 inch or so of oil will suffice)
- Drop the tomatoes, in small batches, into the heated oil and cook 2 minutes to a side or until they are golden brown.
- Drain on a rack.
- Sprinkle with salt or pepper to taste.
This recipe produces 4-6 servings and can be multiplies to meet the needs of your family or guests.